Filters and Fluids
Pinecrest Shell offers a complete range of services for the filters and fluids in your car or truck at our automotive repair shop in Alexandria, Va. The filter system in your car or truck plays an important role in the overall longevity of your vehicle and contributes to the comfort you will experience while driving your automobile in and around the streets of Northern Va. The investment you have in your vehicle can be maximized by maintaining the filter system with timely filter replacements and by having the fluid levels checked regularly at our Alexandria auto repair shop.
There are several filters in your vehicle that help keep your car or truck in top-performing condition. The oil filter keeps contaminants in your oil from entering the engine and disrupting its efficient operation. The fuel filter prevents contaminants from interfering with the operation of the vehicle’s carburetors or fuel injection system.
Air filters are used in the automotive filter system to keep particles of dirt from damaging the engine’s cylinders, pistons, and piston rings. In cars and trucks that have a fuel injection system the air filter also prevents contaminants from adversely affecting the airflow sensor. Finally, the cabin filter provides comfort to your vehicle’s occupants by trapping and preventing pollen, dust, bacteria, and dangerous exhaust gases from entering the ventilation system.
The filters in your car or truck should be checked and replaced regularly as they are a part of your vehicle’s normal wear components. The frequency by which you should have your filters and fluids checked and replaced depend on mileage, your driving habits, road conditions, and filter and vehicle types. The symptoms you may experience that will indicate your filters or fluid may need to be replaced will include poor gas mileage, hesitation when accelerating, and unwanted odors inside your automobile.
There are several different types of filters in your vehicle, all of which are designed to keep it in top-performing condition. They should be regularly checked and replaced to make sure your car is running safely and efficiently. Here’s a look at the different types of filters we service, and how they help your vehicle:
- Fuel Filter: This filter picks up any dirt or debris in your gas tanks and prevents it from getting into the engine. Over time, your fuel filter can get a lot of dirt build-up, reducing the flow of fuel to your engine. A clogged fuel filter will impact your vehicle’s performance and fuel economy.
- Air filters: Your vehicle’s air filter prevents contaminants like dust and dirt from getting into your engine. A dirty air filter leads to poor fuel economy. At Pinecrest Shell, our team will check your air filter with every oil change and let you know when it needs to be replaced.
- Cabin filter: These filters ensure the air you breathe inside your car is of good quality. Your cabin filter traps outdoor particles, harmful gases, and odors and keeps them from entering your vehicle through your ventilation system. It’s important to regularly replace these filters to keep your air conditioning system working properly, and to help those that suffer from asthma or allergies.
- Oil filter: Your car’s oil filter keeps any oil contaminants from getting into the engine and disrupting its operation. Having clean motor oil is crucial to the health of your vehicle as a build-up of debris on your oil filter can damage the surface of your engine.
- PCV Filter and Valve: The Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) filter and valve work together to reduce air pollution and give you better fuel efficiency. This valve ensures your engine is getting the right amount of airflow, while the filter removes harmful oil vapor.
There are also several different types of fluids in your vehicle. It is important to get these inspected and changed regularly to keep your vehicle running efficiently. Here’s a breakdown of the different types of fluid we check each time you have your vehicle serviced:
- Transmission Fluid: This fluid keeps the inside of your transmission cool, clean, and lubricated. It also maintains pressure inside the transmission to keep it functioning properly. It’s important to keep a close eye on this fluid to make sure your transmission doesn’t overheat.
- Differential Fluid: This fluid works with the transmission to rotate your wheels. It delivers power from the engine to the axle.
- Engine Oil: This reduces heat in your engine and keeps it lubricated. Getting regular oil and oil filter changes is important to keeping your engine clean.
- Engine Coolant: More commonly known as anti-freeze, this removes heat from the engine to keep your vehicle from overheating.
Common Signs It’s Time to Replace Your Car’s Filters or Fluids
Knowing when to change your fluids depends on your gas mileage, driving habits, road conditions, fluid type, and the make of your vehicle. A few warning signs that your filters or fluids need to be changed include:
- Hesitation when accelerating
- Poor gas mileage
- Unfamiliar and unwanted odors inside your vehicle
Replace Your Filters and Fluids at Pinecrest Shell
Stop by Pinecrest Shell and get our technicians to check and replace your fluids and filters today.
- Oil Filter
- Cabin Filter
- Air Filter
- Oil Change
- Fuel Filter